The Upper School at Hollis Montessori redefines the school experience for students in grades 7 through 9.
Students are challenged with work that is not only intellectual, but also physical, social, collaborative, expressive, ethical, practical, economically significant and integrated. This work encompasses the full human experience and lays the groundwork for their journey into adulthood.
Classroom subjects are explored in an integrated manner, where students grapple with real-world issues while honing their skills in math, economics, science, humanities, language and writing. We focus upon the development of a successful process and innovative approach, rather than rewarding an expected answer.
The arts and physical education are important and integrated components of our program, along with a student run business, educational travel, and community service. All students in the Upper School program are invited to participate in their public school athletic teams as well as music or other activities.
Our graduates are well prepared for high school and college as capable, confident, and compassionate young adults.
- In giving students all the responsibilities and freedoms that they have earned
- That an integrated, active, hands-on approach is the most engaging and effective way for students to develop skill and understanding
- That this is a time of life when students often require emotional support
- That strong student relationships with trusted and thoughtful adults is fundamental to the process of becoming thoughtful adults
- That it is by truly contributing to a community that students build genuine confidence
- That the goal of the program is not simply intellectual competence, but is human competence
- That education should not deal with the trivial, but rather should lead students to a lifelong seeking of understanding